Thomas and I have spent quite a bit of time trying to learn various skills. Probably a few too many for our own good, in all fairness, but still.
Given that, we’ve had to fight the impatience of learning something new many times. It’s frustrating to pick up a new instrument or cookbook and completely fail to do what you were hoping to do over and over.
One of the best ways to push through these more frustrating parts of skill growth is the art of deliberate practice: honing in on a single piece of the skill you want to learn and working on that part specifically.
Before you play this episode, perhaps consider a skill you’ve been working on or thinking about. Maybe by the end, you’ll have some ideas on how you can introduce more deliberate practice into your own ventures.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Skillshare: With thousands of courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. You can also get started with a free trial with unlimited learning (including Thomas’ productivity and habit-building classes!) at Skillshare.com/inforium.
- Hover: Your personal brand is important, and it starts with your domain name. Get 10% off your first domain name purchase by going to Hover.com/cig.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Deliberate Practice – A Conversation with Charles Cornell
- Charles Cornell on YouTube
- The Secret to Learning Any Skill Faster
- Working from Home: How to Set Up Your Workspace
- Working from Home: How to Plan Your Day
- Working From Home: How to Stay Focused
- Matt D’Avella on YouTube
- Charles Cornell’s music improvisation course on Skillshare
- Thomas’ Habit-Building course on Skillshare
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- Thomas’ Skillshare Q&A
- Tommy Emmanuel’s Ted Talk
- Ben Marriott on YouTube
- CrashCourse on YouTube
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:00:00 – Intro
- 0:02:24 – What we’ve been up to
- 0:18:54 – Deliberate practice
- 0:22:42 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:25:02 – Sponsor: Hover (Buying a domain name)
- 0:27:14 – How we practice deliberately
- 0:38:57 – Getting a teacher and feeling incompetent
- 0:56:12 – Copying other people
- 1:03:16 – Taking measures against being sedentary
- 1:10:08 – Dealing with a video game addiction
- 1:18:50 – Conclusion
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure 🙂 You can also leave a review!