There are quite a few benefits to working for yourself. For many people, entrepreneurship is the dream. But it’s not perfect — it comes with a few downsides to balance out the upsides. So we decided to talk about a few of the potentially surprising downsides we’ve noticed. Even if you don’t work for yourself, some of these apply to working autonomously in general, which a lot more of us get to experience while working from home this year.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Skillshare: With thousands of courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. You can also get started with a free trial with unlimited learning (including Thomas’ productivity and habit-building classes!) at Skillshare.com/inforium.
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/Inforium — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Martin’s website
- Thomas’ website
- The Man Who Couldn’t Stop, by David Adam
- Notion’s Timeline View (and 3 Other New Features!)
- Ali Abdaal on YouTube
- The Smart Passive Income Blog
- The Side Hustle Show
- Listen Money Matters
- Charles Cornell on YouTube
- Charles Cornell’s music improvisation course on Skillshare
- Thomas’ Habit-Building course on Skillshare
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- Airr (iOS)
- A Random Walk Down Wall Street, by Burton Malkiel
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:00:00 – Intro
- 0:02:10 – What we’ve been up to
- 0:11:18 – Working on your own
- 0:13:05 – Managing your time and energy
- 0:20:34 – Making yourself stop working
- 0:25:39 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:28:16 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:29:44 – Working too many roles
- 0:35:40 – Building relationships
- 0:39:39 – Feeling like you’re not doing enough
- 0:44:44 – Being self-disciplined and delegating work
- 0:53:03 – Favorite animated shows
- 0:58:13 – How do we organize our books
- 1:02:14 – Conclusion
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure 🙂 You can also leave a review!