We’re here in our penultimate episode to talk about the power of quitting.
It’s commonly heard that we should usually stick it out through tough times and push through the challenges we face, but sometimes, that isn’t the best answer. Sometimes, refusing to back down just wastes time and energy that could have been put toward something better.
Determining which situation you’re dealing with is the hard part, but luckily Seth Godin’s short book, The Dip, was written to help you in precisely this situation.
If you haven’t read or listened to it, it’s worth a quick run-through: it’s only about ninety minutes via either method, and is a nice way to add a burst of motivation to your day.
Either way, we’re talking about how we’re re-looking through and applying the ideas in this book, hopefully for the better.
Since we’re nearing the end here, if you want to keep up with us after the next (and final) episode, we’ll still be around on Instagram (Thomas | Martin), Twitter (Thomas | Martin), and whatever things we might link to in our personal sites (Thomas | Martin).
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/Inforium — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
- Hover: Your personal brand is important, and it starts with your domain name. Get 10% off your first domain name purchase by going to Hover.com/inforium.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Thomas’ Beeminder goal
- The Dip, by Seth Godin
- Tim Ferriss’ Superstar Effect article
- Range, by David Epstein
- LegalEagle on YouTube
- Essentialism, by Greg McKeown
- Nathaniel Drew on YouTube
- Matt D’Avella on YouTube
- Forest (iOS | Android)
- Listen Money Matters
- the College Info Geek subreddit
- the College Info Geek Habitica guild
- Habitica (iOS | Android)
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:00:00 – Intro
- 0:04:30 – Reasons for ending the podcast
- 0:13:48 – The several stages of skill learning
- 0:18:20 – Trying to be the best in the world
- 0:27:16 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:29:21 – Sponsor: Hover (Buying a domain name)
- 0:32:01 – Defining your goal and pushing through the dip
- 0:45:52 – Quitting for the right reasons
- 0:59:18 – Balancing breaks and work time
- 1:06:14 – Our hobbies
- 1:11:54 – Conclusion
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure 🙂 You can also leave a review!