In the first episode, we established in the inescapable certainty of uncertainty. This next portion of the book goes into what to do about it, and a few ways we can make better long-term decisions, despite not having all of the information we might need to be sure.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- CuriosityStream (+ Nebula!):CuriosityStream is the best place on the internet for high-quality documentaries, and it now comes with access to this podcast and a ton of other great content, ad-free, on Nebula.
If you use the link curiositystream.com/inforiumpod you’ll also get 26% off your first annual subscription.
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/Inforium — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Thinking in Bets, by Annie Duke
- Thinking In Bets: How to Become Comfortable With Uncertainty (Ep. 18)
- Tom’s Notion course
- Wendover Productions on YouTube
- Real Engineering on YouTube
- MKBHD on YouTube
- Listen Money Matters
- The Dip: How to Know When to Quit (Ep. 202)
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:00:00 – Intro
- 0:01:47 – What Martin’s been up to
- 0:12:29 – What Tom’s been up to
- 0:14:43 – Making decisions in accordance with your imagined future
- 0:27:36 – Sponsor: CuriosityStream (Watching documentaries)
- 0:29:46 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:31:10 – Feeling like it’s too late to start
- 0:41:34 – Ulysses contracts
- 0:50:29 – Not confusing good outcomes with good decisions
- 0:57:38 – Backcasting and premortems
- 1:13:44 – Conclusion