An ironic problem of a first success is that it often unlocks more opportunities for future successes. Eventually, this leads to several different options, which can leave your attention spread thin.
Once your attention is spread thin, you risk losing the things that made you successful in the first place, and success becomes its own undoing.
We talk about what it’s been like trying to navigate this as we’ve gotten older and found more and more paths to choose from.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Skillshare: With thousands of courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. The first 1,000 people to use this link can also get started with a free trial with unlimited learning (including Thomas’ productivity and habit-building classes!) at Skillshare.com/inforium.
- Hover: Your personal brand is important, and it starts with your domain name. Get 10% off your first domain name purchase by going to Hover.com/cig.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Sign up to be notified about Thomas’ upcoming Notion course!
- Thomas Frank Explains on YouTube
- Thomas’ Habit-Building course on Skillshare
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- Atomic Habits: 4 Rules for Sticking to Any Habit
- Grant Baldwin
- Real Men Real Style on YouTube
- Matt D’Avella on YouTube
- Ali Abdaal on YouTube
- Deep Work, by Cal Newport
- Benn and Gear on YouTube
- CaseyNeistat on YouTube
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:00:00 – Intro
- 0:16:45 – Being busy and the fear of missing out
- 0:21:35 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:23:26 – Sponsor: Hover (Buying a domain name)
- 0:25:34 – Being busy and the fear of missing out (continued)
- 1:09:20 – How often does Martin practice his languages with others
- 1:13:44 – Did we foresee ourselves where we are a few years ago
- 1:15:31 – Conclusion