There have been many times in my life where I’ve had a big, new idea and talked myself out of it.
Maybe it was too hard, maybe it was too scary, maybe it was just unclear what steps needed to be taken next. No matter the reason, many a good idea has been buried under these concerns and pressures, and I’m tired of watching it happen.
Judging from things I’ve seen online and conversations I’ve had in person, I’m not alone in this. So we’re talking a bit about how we’ve pushed through those concerns in the past, how we’re trying to push through them now, and a few things you can try for your next big idea.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Skillshare: With thousands of courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. You can also get started with a free trial with unlimited learning (including Thomas’ new course!) at Skillshare.com/inforium.
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/Inforium — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Damn Good Advice, by George Lois
- Is Perfectionism a Bad Thing? (Ep. 11)
- The Smart Passive Income Podcast
- Thomas’ Productivity & Creativity course on Skillshare
- Thomas’ Habit-Building course on Skillshare
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- The Adventure Zone podcast
- Dextraneous (the Pokémon blog Martin made a logo for)
- When Perfect Isn’t Good Enough, by Martin M. Antony
- Creativity, Inc., by Edwin Cadmull
- Airr (iOS)
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:00:00 – Intro
- 0:02:04 – What we’ve been up to
- 0:17:20 – Things we want to try out
- 0:25:24 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:27:42 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:29:23 – Starting out small
- 0:37:04 – Getting encouragement from friends
- 0:41:27 – Not waiting for the perfect time to start
- 0:47:24 – Disconnecting from work
- 0:51:47 – What have we been reading
- 0:56:52 – Conclusion